Tuesday, January 6, 2009


Who Am I? You know what? Who am I is about the best question I’ve heard in a year. I am a woman, a mama, a wife, a daughter, a granddaughter, a niece, a friend and a teacher. You got it, I tried to put them in the order that I believe they rank for me for importance. The truth is all there, I am a woman, God handled that one straight from the beginning. Then, my daughter the most precious and important little thing I’ve ever known. My first born, a mini-Jon with my husband’s disposition. Figures, eh? I am a wife. I’ve been a wife for almost five years. I’ve been a good person and a not-so-good person, but I am in it for the long haul. I am a daughter. The only daughter. The only child of a mom and a father. My mom is my Hero. She inspires me everyday to be a better person. I am forever in debt to her. My quote from my dad that stands out is the classic father to daughter quote, “You can be anything you want to be. Do not ever let anyone tell you that something is impossible.” My mom and dad are the reason that I am a strong, independent person. They are the reason that when I was 22 I received a B.A. in Education. They are the reason that when I was 18 I loaded up my TV, a set of bedding, my personal hygiene needs and the clothing I needed and drove to Cal Poly to go to school. No friends, not even an acquaintance, but I did it because my mom and dad told me that I could. As for being a granddaughter, I don’t do so well. All of them died before I really had the chance to get to know them. I feel a little robbed of that. I did take a special closeness to my husbands grandmother, Marjorie. She was a wise old woman. She gave the greatest advice and had one of the best senses of humor. She could work circles around me. I miss her so much. I miss the Chicken Salad sandwiches we used to split and her stingy tip. sniff sniff. As a niece, I do pretty good. I’m the go to person. “Call us if you need anything!” Enough said. I am a friend. I have so many loving friends and for this I am truly blessed. Half the time I cannot keep up with all of their birthdays, but I always let them know that I love them. Each of my milestones in life, I managed to make a new set of friends. Now we aren't talking acquaintances-these are friends who I call and talk to ALL the time! These are in no particular order--That is sooooo Elementary school (inside joke:) Lets start with Elementary School: Devon (my sister in a second life), Tanya (my childhood friend) and Julie (the person who knows me best). Then on to Middle school: Lori (the person I call to for advice) and Rachel (my spontaneous friend). College: Carrie (we are one in the same), Mel (my forever friend), Brandy (my loyal friend), Halya (my partner in crime), Jill (my smart friend) and Kristen (my caring friend). After College and on to Seattle: Jen Peters (always Peters to me), Jenn W., (my crazy, beautiful friend) Kim and Michelle (my owe so much for bringing Jon to me friends), Aimee (my adventure friend), Suzy (my giving friend), Julie (my sweet as can be friend) and Deb(she is my sister in-law but one of my BF'S too). And when I thought I would never meet anymore special friends after moving to Texas: Heather (and the HunstVegas 08 gals), Janay (my rock), Callie (go out and have a blast friend), Kelly (my been there done that friend) and all the fifth grade teachers. Phew! I am sure I forgot a few and don't expect a birthday call. But, you know what is more important to me than that? That every child that passes through those doors remembers that I love working with them and I wish them the best. I hope they remember that I helped them get the skills they needed to succeed in life and I don’t necessarily always mean the A B C’s and 1 2 3’s. So there, my dad’s words have influenced me a lot if the only thing I think I know I can’t do is be lonely. Wouldn’t you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment